Friday, May 25, 2007

The Scoop


I woke up early Wednesday morning to get a head start on my day. It was going to be a long one including enrichment with my students in the morning and an orientation for parents in the evening. I looked at my phone and noticed there were a few missed calls. For the past few weeks I have thought it was Mary from Gladney everytime the phone would ring and since I emailed her last week and told her not to worry about the time difference and call at anytime I instantly thought it was her. I checked my voicemail and the shaking began. I returned her call and got her voicemail, called my mom and clued her in. Mary called back. She shared that she held Tsebay last week while in Ethiopia (how cool is that), emailed me the information and pictures and started sharing the details. It was love at first sight. I knew this little girl was my little girl. I called my mom, we called my sister. Rachelle had the best reaction ever--screaming, crying etc. Within a half hour I called Mary back to accept the referral. She shared how well cared for the children are at the Gladney Center and that she is quite hopeful we may get a quick court date. I should have more information early next week. This all happened before 7 am and I still had work obligations. Somehow I managed to make it through the day. Thank you to my friends at work for pitching in.


Thank you so much for sending so much love. It is overwhelming and I am so touched. It is amazing the power that a new life has. I am having a difficult time focusing and am on such a high. I took the advice given by Gladney and did not buy much for the baby. Now I have a purpose. I am not a shopper by nature but knowing that I'm buying for Tsebay will make it fun.

7 comments:

lcm0709 said...

She's beautiful! Can Max marry her? :o)

Congratulations and enjoy every minute!

Laura :)
http://www.nosmallfeat.typepad.com

Susy Q said...

What a GORGEOUS little girl! Congratulations!!!!

Anne said...

Congratulations...

We just returned on Mar 31st from Addis with our new little girl (also a Gladney family). You'll have an incredible time in Ethiopia! Congrats congrats congrats on the beautiful addition! She will surely be such a blessing to your life and you to hers! :-) This time will fly by between referral and travel.

Anne

Mama Papaya said...

Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL baby girl. How can you not want to just squeeze her? She is adorable. May your travel come quickly!

Carrie (another single mom to a beautiful Ethiopian girl)

Brea Walsh said...

hey maria -
congratulations, your baby girl is lovely! ian sent me your blog address & it's been really great to read about what's going on. best of luck to you, i will continue to check in & read (that is, if you have any time to post!!) where is rachelle these days? tell her to send me an email... breawalsh@hotmail.com
like you, i'm also enjoying the island life but in spain, mallorca is wonderful!

enjoy!

-Samantha- said...

Thanks for the invitation. Unfortunately we have prior commitments this summer and will not be able to attend our friend's wedding in Hawaii, now I doubly sad about it.
Your baby is beautiful and I am certain she will grow up to be smart and creative just like her mama seems to be.
I am quite impressed as to how fast your adoption "pregnancy" has been. Did you start the process in January and get your referral in 3 months? Or did I get that totally wrong? I can't wait to hear about your travel experience and your arrival home. Good luck, Samantha

The Elliott Family said...

Maria,

Let me know when you get your court date (although since I blogstalk you, I will know :). If you end up traveling after we do (we leave the 13th, I think), then I will try and take some pictures of Tsebay while I am there to get to you!

Rachel