Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Details....

The decision for me was not to adopt but when to start the process. I have always been drawn to this path and knew I would persue adoption at some point. Timing is everything. The past half year has been a bit of a roller coaster ride so when I first mentioned my adoption plans to my mom she told me I should wait a bit before making any life changing decisions........... so........... I waited two weeks and called to let her know I was going for it. Life is short. There's no time to waste especially when starting a process with so many variables. My mind was made up and I was ready to be a mom. It took a whole two seconds for my mom to dive into the grandma role. She is now anxiously awaiting the moment she can see her grandbaby. I am fortunate that my mom will be traveling with me to Ethiopia. Hurray for grandmas!!!!

As I started to research, I realized there were a lot of decisions to be made; domestic or international adoption? what country? girl or boy? can I handle siblings? what agency will I work with?what age? am I prepared to deal with a child with an illness? I felt overwhelmed and wished I could simply call an agency, tell them I was ready to be a mom and have them make all the decisions. Unfortunately it is not that easy and there is a lot to consider. My decision to adopt from Ethiopia was made from the heart, the head and the wallet. I selected Ethiopia for many reasons including its: rich culture, beautiful people, quick timeline and simply knowing that there is a baby there waiting for me.

Since January I have been working on my paperwork. I finished this part of the process over a week ago and since have entered the next stage...the waiting stage. Gladney warned this would be the toughest part and of course I thought it wouldn't be that bad. I'm a busy girl. I have a lot going on. I'll stay occupied. Believe me, this is tough! The not knowing is a challenge. Should I buy a crib? start to rearrange? plan to miss work? what will she look like? how old will she be? Knowing your child is most likely born and is waiting for a mommy makes it difficult to think of much else. I am very ready to proceed to the next stage. Referral, please.

7 comments:

tara said...

wow, you started in january and youre already waiting on your referal?! thats great! maybe you should head over to baby gap to kill some waiting time. :) hope everything goes smoothly and quickly!

Momma said...

Patience my dear --- Didn't your mother teach you, when the time is right she will come!

Love ya ~~ Momma

Susy Q said...

Congrats on your adoption!! Finally waiting is such a relief, isn't it? My family accepted the referral of a gorgeous 15-month-old baby girl last month and we're now waiting to travel...like you, I have two younger brothers, so I'm so excited to have a sister! I hope your process goes smoothly and I'm looking forward to reading more!

-Susanna
Big Sis to two bio brothers and one sister from Ethiopia
http://www.bigsisdiaries.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Maria,
Aloha to you! I just found your blog through the Gladney website and remembered your comment on ours a few weeks back.
My wife and I just decided last night to adopt one baby boy (vs the sibling group). More on that in a future posting...guess you should be hearing soon from Gladney on a referral?

Testing said...

wow! nice. looks like we're on the same schedule, waiting for referral :)

Swerl said...

Hi! I run a blog about Ethiopian adoption:

http://swerl.blogspot.com

I've added you to the blogroll.

Come check out the site!

My wife and I are waiting on a referral for a baby girl through CHSFS.

rosie said...

Maria great news another child to add to the Quinn's,Glad ur mom can go she talks grandchild allllllllllllllll the time. Love Aunt Rosemary