Friday, June 15, 2007

GOTCHA DAY!!








Greeting from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

My mom and I began our travels Wednesday afternoon for the trip of a lifetime. We arrived in Addis a bit over 24 hours after boarding our first plane. Our second flight was a bit delayed due to nasty weather in DC. We scored on the second and super long leg of our trip! My mom had three seats and I had two. We were given assigned seats upon check in but when boarding the plane were assigned new seats. We were a bit annoyed but it turned out we were in luck. We were last in line so we were put in the back of the plane and there were empty seats. I have a feeling if the plane was overbooked we wouldn't have been given any seats so I probably would not recommend being last in line.

After checking in at the Hilton Thursday night we ordered room service and lots of bottled water and tried to sleep. I did not have much luck. I was very excited to meet my little girl. After exchanging our money and having a light breakfast on Thursday morning my mom and I met our driver, arranged by Gladney, for the drive to the Care Center. The drive over was filled with such mixed emotions. I was so filled with joy to finaly be meeting my little girl but so depressed by the utter poverty. There is so much that must be done for the children of this country.

We were given a terrific greeting at the Care Center. Two little girls welcomed us with kisses and love. One of the little girls is being adopted by Scott and Monica Brown and the other will be up for adoption shortly. After entering the Care Center it was a few minutes before Tsebay was brought down and put in my arms. She is everthing I dreamed. Tsebay is alert and very observant. She is beautiful and engaging. The bond was instant. I'm in love and you will be too.

Tsebay and I made it through our first night together. She did very well considering she's 4 months old, has just been taken from her surroundings and is fighting a cold. I need to pick up a decongestant today. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Please email me because blogger has not been my friend.

For those of you traveling shortly don't forget about the discount at the Hilton. You need to get a letter and can save up to $50. per day. Also, know that if you're with Gladney you are in terrific hands. They are all so nice and really take care of the details.

If any of my students are reading try this one. You may need some help from your mom or an older brother or sister. The currency in Ethiopia is called the birr. One dollar is worth 9.2 birr. If my lunch cost 120 birr, how many dollars would this be?

I miss you all and can't wait to introduce you to Tsebay. She is the best.

7 comments:

The Elliott Family said...

She is absolutely gorgeous! I am so happy for you...it must be an amazing feeling! Enjoy your stay!

Rachel

Gail Weaver said...

Oh Maria, she is beautiful! We are so happy for you and can not wait to meet her! Congratulations, momma!

Lots of love, Gail & Dan

Amy B. said...

Your daughter is precious. I am so glad to hear such good things from people using Gladney. Seeing your expression (such love for your little girl) makes our paper chasing and anticipation so worth it. Congratulations. Amy

Marianne said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Seeing you and your Mom holding Tsebay is incredible! ... She is your own little miracle; a result of FAITH! We cannot wait to meet Tsebay. See you all soon. We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Amy said...

She is BEAUTIFUL! I just cried and cried reading your post....Congratulations!!! Enjoy your time there!!!

rosie said...

The baby is beautiful!!!! You look like ur in heaven, is the Mar crying. I think so, Love to u all especially ur bundle,

Margit Barreras said...

Aloha Maria!

Lots of love and cuddles from the Barreras Family! We can't wait to meet your wee daughter!

Happy Travels!

Margit, Blanca, Olas and Martina!