Sunday, January 13, 2008


Tsebay & Mimi & PopPop are doing real well in New Jersey. Tsebay is sleeping like a champ and playing like one too! She is a dream baby, lots of fun and personality. Not sure how I'm going to handle our upcoming separation -- trying to stay in the moment and maximizing the time with her.

Maria & Kozette seem to be bonding and staying healthy in Ethiopia! It won't be long now before we are all together.

Thanks for checking in
~~ Mary Ann (Mimi)

Maria Writes:
This little cutie is doing great considering everything she's been through. Here are some updates:


Sleeping-Kozette is a very good sleeper but will only fall asleep with me. I have a feeling she will be in my bed for a month or two. While faling asleep she is a cuddler. She gets so close to me it's hysterical. I have managed to move her to her crib once or twice during sleep but most times she wakes up during the move and cries so I put her back in bed with me.

Communicator-Kozette makes sure all her wants and needs a met. She pulls you, points and uses verbal comunication until you figure out what she wants. Her receptive language is great. At times it's even like she understands English. She says mommy and it is so cute.

She also imitates many things I do. We were going out the other day and I put on sunglasses so she went and put hers on. She insisted I put deodorant on her the other day and also likes when I put a little makeup on her as I'm getting ready. She likes buttons, switches and the phone. She's had a few meltdowns but most have been when she is tired. A few Ethiopians have commented on her being so active and by their meaning that is smart. As a teacher I know what that means, if she is bored she can be a rascal. I will have to make sure this little smartypants is challenged.

Eating-Kozette likes all things carbs; bread, pasta, and crackers are getting us through the trip. She likes her Ethiopian food and it's a crack up to watch her eat it. She is used to powdered milk. I gave her whole milk yesterday and she spit it out. Her table manners need some work. If she doesn't like something she throws it on the floor. We have started a discard plate.

Clothes-Kozette loves all her new things. She especially likes shoes although they do not stay on very long. I'm getting plenty of dirty looks here since they want their children totally covered up. She will fit right in on Maui.


Yesterday we went to Kozette's foster care center. She loved seeing her old friends and definitely ran the place. They are very well taken care of and she was a princess. I got to spend time with her care givers and they were so wonderful. We then went to Belay's house to wait for a ride and got to meet his son. He is 1 year younger than Kozette and twice her size. We came back to the hotel and had lunch (Kozette was a bit of a challenge). We went back to the room intending to take a nap but slept pretty much through the night. It's now 5:30am and we're all up and ready to go but there is nowhere to go.

Cristen is teaching Kozette "meow" for cat and she is repeating it. It's very cute. I gotta go play with my baby.

Love ~ Maria

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maria you are so amazing!! I am awed by your determination and grit. Zeet is going to be a challenge and I can't wait to see who ends up ruling who...... I love you and your girls!

Drew Carey Show said...

You're clearly an expert at this! Kozette sounds like such fun, and you seem totally up for the challenges of not only this transition -- but also of toddlerdom. Loving your updates!